Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Picks!

Yep. You knew this was coming. Here are my picks for the 80th Annual Academy Awards tonight...keep in mind I have yet to see all the films that were nominated.

Best Picture
Juno

I know, it's an odd pick. Most likely, the award will go to No Country For Old Men, but I like to take a chance. Historically, the award has gone to one of the top 2 grossing films out of the five nominees, and that's Juno and No Country this year.

Actor In A Leading Role
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Phenomenal performance. Everything you'd expect from him and more. The only other nominee I've seen is Depp in Sweeney Todd, but if Lewis doesn't win it will be a crime.

Actor In A Supporting Role
Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jessee James By The Coward Robert Ford

Another risky choice. The Oscar could easily go to Javier Bardem or Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Bardem has a lot of buzz going in, and Hoffman gave yet another spectacular show stealing performance in Charlie Wilson's War. That said, Affleck has given 2 great performances this year, the first in Jessee James, and the other (which he could have easily been nominated for as well) was Gone Baby Gone.

Actress In A Leading Role
Ellen Page - Juno

It's tough to pick against Cate Blanchett here. She's nominated in 2 categories this year, and she's no stranger to the awards circuit. Not having seen any of the other nominees though, I've gotta give it to Page -- her performance in Juno is one of the reasons the film is such a big hit, and why it resonates with audiences.

Actress In A Supporting Role
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

If Cate doesn't win Best Actress, then she's gotta win here. The only film I've seen in this category was Gone Baby Gone, and I would be surprised if Amy Ryan wins.

Animated Feature Film
Ratatouille

I love this film. Maybe its because I love to cook, and food is a passion, but this was one of my favorite films of the year. There is not a single problem with it, and if animation didn't have it's own category, it could easily compete with the best picture nominations. If Ratatouille doesn't win, it's a huge upset.

Art Direction
Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

A stylized, dark, period musical. What's not to love?

Cinematography
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Beautiful cinematography. Absolutely stunning. At times, I found myself forgetting the plot of the film, and getting lost in the cinematography. Interestingly enough, the cinematographer, Roger Deakins, was also nominated for No Country For Old Men.

Costume Design
Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

Guess pick here. Don't take much stock in it.

Directing
The Coen Brothers - No Country For Old Men

It's a tough choice here. I think the award could just as easily go to Paul Thomas Anderson for There Will Be Blood. All are established directors with a penchant for making award winning films. That said, the Coen Brothers have been down for a few years, so I can see them getting the award, as much as Anderson might deserve it.

Documentary Feature
Sicko

Only one I've seen. As much as he's disliked, Michael Moore makes really good films. What can I say, I'm partial.

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Juno

Diablo Cody is a first time writer who used to be a stripper -- how can she not win?

Music (Original Score)
Ratatouille

Great soundtrack, really contributed to the film.


No comments: